Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Thing 8: MicroBlogging (Okay, Twitter)

Was that...?  Did a pig just fly by the window?

Okay, I created a Twitter account.  @Archivisitation.

For many years I have avoided this arguable inevitability, but under the tutelage of 23 Things for Archivists, I am giving in.  My excitement is in the investment in professional networking, information networking, and visibility.  My reservations come from time consumption and information overload.  We will see how it goes.

I have followed @archivesnext and @archivist_org, and @JFKLibrary (in my hood), and @NEarchivists (New England Archivists) and I am interested to learn more about sharing information.  Kate Theimer--writer for 23 Things for Archivists and progentress of Archivesnext, follows over 900 organizations and people pertaining to archives on Twitter.  I am expected that @archivesnext will prove itself a valuable source of information.  Thanks, Kate, for all your hard work.

As I was bopping around Twitter, I saw a tweet from @Salticidea, an RT by @archivesnext, about a scam from Google+ and now I'm curious after my last post about the Google Plus.  Maybe it was a scam (?)  I still haven't looked into it, but as always, folks, I would be reluctant to add applications to your Facebook.

I like the JFK Library's tweets, which are used to update on collections, events, etc.  New England Archivists seem to use the account to send notices about meetings, or link to meeting minutes, etc.  They post once every few days or so.  I might like to see a litI tle more focus on highlighting collections, etc.  But it doesn't look like a heavily-used account.  The Museum of Fine Arts' @mfaboston has a very active account, providing updates on events, programming, funding, etc.

More exploration to come!  I have a lot of account collecting to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment